In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 477
Online now 155 Record: 5366 (2/4/2013)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
The movement to build UM it's own stadium at Tropical Park is gaining momentum. Alonzo Highsmith is unofficially leading a growing legion of alumni, faculty, students and fans to make it a reality. Almost 4,800 people have sign a petition to support the building of a stadium.
Cane321 posted this on TOS...
"As many of you know, Alonzo Highsmith is trying to make this happen. After conversing with some alumni over the past couple weeks, it is very much in the process of being reality. I also spoke with Alonzo yesterday and this is what I got out of him:
1. $200-$250M is needed to fund it.
2. It will be modeled after the Orange Bowl & yes with palm trees in open end
3. 50K seating capacity
4. Tropical Park is the location & all they need is the county to donate the land, which didn't seem like a deal breaker after talking with Alonzo. He said he knows 3 of the BOD & has a great relationship with them and should get the rest onboard soon.
5. Name of the stadium is TBD due to waiting on donations, but if it were up to Alonzo, it would be "Univ. of Miami Orange Bowl".
6. 5 years is the estimate.
7. Included in the plans is the stadium itself, amphitheater, Miami heritage center (making it serviceable to the people). The stadium will also be used for HS football (which is currently being done with the small stadium that's there now) & holding the State Championship games.
So yes, the reality of the our own stadium is definitely upon us and you should support it..."
We are not going away! Come join us !
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by Len Mags 16 months ago
It's five o'clock somewhere!!!
This is what I'm talking about...whenever they get that fundraiser kick started I will jump in in a heart beat. Great job. Alonzo doing work
Yeah, I would be more then happy to put down a few $'s to help build a stadium! $200 million for a 50,000 seat stadium, sounds like it would be a hell of stadium! I hope it works out.
Hey I would be more than to donate....however I think emailing the AD would be a good move as well
For those that want to comparison, UM is 5 miles away from tropical park and 21 miles away from sunlife stadium.
Lebron and Dwayne Wade at the Canes basketball game
Len, I love you buddy! This is a great post Christmas gift. It will happen. For whatever it's worth I've had personal communication with Highsmith about fundraising ideas, suggestions on how to make the stadium more fan friendly and how to keep it solvent through out the year without football.
I've also written Blake James with simple, inexpensive, ideas on how to create a better game day experience at SLS.
BK have you received any responses from Blake?
...........Even sponge knows its about the U
No not yet. I'm not offended though. The man has a lot on his plate right now. I'm going to write him again in 2013 and I'm hopefull he'll reply. If he does, obviously I'll post a summary here.
Golden is better then Jimbo... I feared it was true. He is going to hoist a crystal ball there - fsufsu
CANE 4 LIFE & BEYOND !! I BLEED ORANGE & LIVE GREEN !!!!
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports